N.O.V.A. 3 Developer Q&A

You had questions, well here are the FULL answers courtesy of the Development Team!

In case you missed it, the Apple App Store asked you for your N.O.V.A. 3 questions and we’ve answered them. Take a behind the scenes look at the development of this hit iOS & Android title & let us know if we answered your burning questions. If we missed yours, be sure to let us know in the comments. Enjoy! :)

From Shaan: What does “N.O.V.A.” stand for?
It stands for “Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance.” In the N.O.V.A. franchise, Earth can no longer sustain human life. As a species, we were forced to move to huge near orbit complexes or, in layman’s terms, man made structures orbiting the earth and other planets. The Vanguard Alliance governs these complexes.

From Jacob: How did you come up with the idea for “N.O.V.A?”
This is goes back to the early days of the iPhone! At the time, there were very few first-person shooters available on the App Store and they all had bad controls & ergonomics (at least according to me). While we were working on Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes, our third-person shooter, we created a new way to play on mobile devices: the now famous “d-pad + action button + cam to move.”

We decided to use this new control scheme to create our favorite types of games, first-person shooters, and bring an entirely new experience to iOS gaming. From there we decided to go with two different types of games, a contemporary military shooter (Modern Combat) and a futuristic one (N.O.V.A.).

From Anonymous: Who is your favorite character/level/etc.?
I really like our new Kal Wardin design, his armor evolution is really cool! I also like the new jetpack enemies & the tension the Skull Crushers create when they appear in small places.

My favorite level is Boreas. The sandstorm (and the level in general) is visually stunning & really shows how games on iOS have progressed.

From Paulo: What programming language was it built in?
Answer: The game was built in C++ & Objective-C

From Anonymous: How many developers worked on N.O.V.A. 3?
Our core team (developers, artists, & game designers) is about 50 people. And of course, a lot of other people helped shape the direction and content of N.O.V.A. 3 including: the sound designers & voice actors, QA testers, localization teams, ect. You can see a detailed list in the About section of the game. :)

From Leo: How many hours did it take to develop?
It took about a year for our team to develop.

From Aaron: Should I finish N.O.V.A. 2 before starting 3?
It’s always interesting to know the back-story of a game, but we developed N.O.V.A. 3 to have its own plot so that you can start the series without being lost.

From Anonymous: Any tips & tricks?
Use the special powers! Also, look out for weapon stashes that will help you in battle.

From Anonymous: Do you have any fun inside stories about the game?
Well, its not really an inside story, but I always like to go back and look at the early screenshots of the game. It’s exciting to see the game’s progression from greybox or basic textures to a fully realized experience. I’m always blown away by the difference! Here is a great example of an early level vs. the finished version of the game.

Early version of N.O.V.A. 3

Finished version of N.O.V.A. 3

Read more about N.O.V.A. 3: Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance:

“N.O.V.A. 3 Developer Q&A”

1. On June 27th, 2012 at 11:31 pm Tyrone Brown Says:

I love this game! I haven't played my console since this was released. I've logged a lot of hours in multiplayer and look forward to additional maps XD.

2. On June 28th, 2012 at 9:36 am art_vaider Says:

Hi guys, i see you don’t optimized enough game for new iPad.
    It has a lot of processing power to use antialiasing when retina is off and full effects are on.

3. On June 28th, 2012 at 12:10 pm mosab Says:

thanks

4. On June 28th, 2012 at 12:52 pm Sam Says:

Whenever I login in nova 3 through my game loft account to play multiplayer it shows request timed out.

5. On June 28th, 2012 at 8:57 pm Me Says:

When (if at all) are you going to put N.O.V.A 3 on Mac?

6. On June 29th, 2012 at 11:14 am sudhir kumar Says:

I like games.

7. On June 30th, 2012 at 5:39 am Adam Newberg Says:

I know how you guys could improve the shooters a ton and make game play much better. I wouldn't want my idea to be stolen though.

8. On June 30th, 2012 at 2:47 pm 5alo0odi Says:

cool game :) but when it will release on mac?

9. On July 1st, 2012 at 1:15 am Christian Says:

This game looks amazing. I couldn't help but notice that N.O.V.A. (the first in the series) had been ported to the vita as a mini. I wanted to ask if you plan to incorporate this idea for the 2nd and 3rd nova games as well?
    I think it would be awesome and many would love the vita's dual analog stick gameplay. Especially for online.

10. On July 1st, 2012 at 2:17 am -WILL- Says:

i have played through all the nova games and think that each one just gets better and better! by the way does any one know how to level up faster? i reallllllly want the lightning gun soooooo bad but find it really hard to level up. if u guys at gameloft have any tips pls tell me. my gameloft.live is Loki0802

11. On July 1st, 2012 at 8:07 am hasib Says:

when this game will be compatible with htc one x?

12. On July 2nd, 2012 at 1:44 pm DON Says:

I got so many questions and answers for this game.. Gameloft plzz release (N.O.V.A 3) for JAVA version!! We all love dis game and we wil love to play it on JAVA mobile!! Thanks

13. On July 2nd, 2012 at 1:49 pm DON Says:

You can make it a FPS for JAVA MOBILE. PLZZ…release N.O.V.A 3 for JAVA!! Plzzzzz….

14. On July 6th, 2012 at 9:13 pm eric Says:

i live nova sieries please put the first one on google play And i have a Question.Did N.O.V.A 1 2 and 3 used to be a pc game?

15. On July 7th, 2012 at 10:04 pm Ricardo Says:

N.O.V.A. is a great game even though it still has quite a bit of bugs and the story is kinda weird at some points. A crazy bug was in the ship when the door did not open and I had to restart from the checkpoint. Also I really expected more for an ending, such as what happened to N.O.V.A. after all and to the judgers? I hate open endings…

16. On July 8th, 2012 at 7:57 pm Mikael Rawlings Says:

I have had just a little complaint with how this program has developed and I intend to fix it within all of the required needs. But my question is how can a blank screen of a dark nature be progress upon?

17. On July 10th, 2012 at 10:35 pm duncan jones Says:

htc one x version on the cards yet, been waiting months now

18. On July 19th, 2012 at 11:39 pm Landon Davis Says:

When is Nova 3 going on sale. Every time I buy a game from Gameloft it goes on sale for $.99 the next day. Drives me crazy.

19. On July 24th, 2012 at 3:50 pm Sara Says:

Hi everyone,

Please check the support link http://support.gameloft.com/?lang=en.

You will be redirected to Gameloft's Customer Care page, where you can find: answers to your most frequently asked questions, known issues that have been fixed or are being processed by our teams, contact forms to help you reach the appropriate Support Teams.

Rest assured that our team is working on finding the proper solving in the shortest period of time!

All the best!

20. On July 24th, 2012 at 7:12 pm Michelle Says:

Hi Landon, we don't currently have plans to put it on sale, but we will let you know if that changes. :]

21. On July 25th, 2012 at 2:48 am cheradenineZ Says:

Countless hours spent on NOVA 3 multiplayer. Outstanding quality, gameloft. I''ve not played much of the singleplayer campaign but it looks great, am saving a complete run through for an 11 hour flight this weekend :D

1 issue however – recently when I log in for multiplayer it says there is an update available, if I click Yes it take me to google play store but it doesn't feature an Update, just Open. If I click No when logging in it proceeds as per normal.

I'm playing on a Sony Tablet S.

Meanwhile my poor old PS3 is collecting dust!

22. On August 10th, 2012 at 3:04 am Viviane Says:

I have located all the hdeidn parts in the game, Do i need to buy the rest to get the achievement? My biggest concern is that there are two weapons that I have already purchased and used but the game does not recognize them as being purchased. One is the $300,000 assault rifle/shotgun. And the other is the $450,000 Sniper.

23. On August 17th, 2012 at 6:10 pm Wallace Says:

Really waiting on Modern Combat 4, love 3

24. On October 3rd, 2012 at 12:40 pm Ethan Says:

Do you need an account?

25. On November 18th, 2012 at 7:32 pm Ishma Says:

Will you put this game on the PS vita please do

26. On December 2nd, 2012 at 5:15 pm Jake Says:

when is it coming out on mac?

27. On December 7th, 2012 at 12:42 am Blobs Says:

How do you save your progress In multiplayer mode because every time I log out it does not save

28. On December 7th, 2012 at 12:43 am Blobs Says:

How do you save your progress In multiplayer mode?

29. On December 9th, 2012 at 10:28 am Sara Says:

Hi there!

I'm sorry that you're experiencing such issues!

You'll need to go on our Support website http://support.gameloft.com/ and you can
    check our FAQ page of the site http://support.gameloft.com/OnlineAndSocial/ and find a solution to your issue.

If your issue isn't described in there, you can fill a form that would be sent to the Customer Care Team and they will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Thanks and have a nice day!

30. On December 30th, 2012 at 2:29 am Anonymous Says:

Who are the voice actors for the Game?

31. On January 5th, 2013 at 6:42 am bhubesh Says:

Restart from last checkpoint bug

32. On March 25th, 2013 at 9:23 pm Vinu Says:

I installed nova 3 and played until I reached the garage in the 1st level then the game froze. I tried many different things but nothing works. I understand that game loft is very busy and have not lost patience as to why my queries weren’t answered but I still paid for the and think I deserve some feedback, ey? I have a galaxy tab 2 7 running jb 4.1.1. Plzz give me some info that may ease my troubles. =(

33. On April 27th, 2013 at 1:49 am SSS_NOOB Says:

i am a hacker my user name is SSS_NOOB

34. On April 27th, 2013 at 1:50 am SSS_NOOB Says:

it doesnt let me log in :(

35. On April 27th, 2013 at 1:50 am SSS_NOOB Says:

PLS HELP MRH

36. On May 18th, 2013 at 10:05 pm no_hate Says:

Gameloft, why don’t you support Android anywhere close to the way you support iOS?

37. On May 20th, 2013 at 11:29 am S0FLYYY Says:

Can’t login, it says: request timed out

38. On June 23rd, 2013 at 8:11 am gameloft lover Says:

please N.O.V.A 4..!!

39. On July 2nd, 2013 at 8:47 am Teddy Says:

I see im not the only one getting that “Request timed out” Message.

40. On July 2nd, 2013 at 12:02 pm Rasmus Says:

Cant login, it says “request time out” WTF do that meen ???!

41. On July 4th, 2013 at 9:35 am Mark Says:

Request time out?!!!
    I got a good internet, i would like if you fix this

42. On July 5th, 2013 at 5:54 am Juan Says:

I forgot my username what do I do??

43. On July 9th, 2013 at 8:09 am U dont know me Says:

It has trouble , it won’t let us log into muiltiplayer that quick plz fix :)

44. On September 5th, 2013 at 10:46 pm rabbits6 Says:

you suck. you’re such a cheater

45. On September 16th, 2013 at 4:58 am The Informer Says:

Connection error as well. I paid good money for this I want it to be a five star reveiw but until it is fixed Im giving it 3.

46. On September 23rd, 2013 at 6:12 am Bobby Lee Says:

Hmm.. me too.. Nov a way working fine and then one day it wouldn’t let me connect to multiplayer. It still.doesn’t work, and I have eccellent internet, too. It just says “connection” timed out. PLEASE HELP!

47. On September 24th, 2013 at 2:02 pm Junior Hernandez Says:

log in timed out what’s happening email me at jonio091184@gmail.com

48. On September 24th, 2013 at 2:05 pm Junior Hernandez Says:

I’m trieng to go online but it says log in timed out what’s going on email me at jonio091184@gmail.com

49. On October 27th, 2013 at 7:24 am pratik Says:

i have same device but the game never freez on my device….

50. On October 29th, 2013 at 6:13 am umapathi Says:

I am installed nova3 then open it not enough space on 822mb,but I have a 3.45GB.how to install and play on nova3

51. On November 3rd, 2013 at 1:58 pm Alex Trieu Says:

Can’t login says requested time out and I have great wi-fi you must fix this or 3 stars for the game

52. On December 31st, 2013 at 3:52 pm Logan Farrell Says:

For all having issues connecting to MP on the android variant of the game, simply back out and delete your password in the password section and reenter it. It’s not convenient, but it works.

53. On January 18th, 2014 at 4:37 pm Youssef Says:

I Want N.O.V.A. 3 For Free , Only 1 Week !

54. On March 13th, 2014 at 1:03 am Nate Says:

What’s the firewall port

55. On March 22nd, 2014 at 8:57 am aditi patnaik Says:

when i m playing nova3…. in the middle it stops working and my phone swiches off…. what shld i do???

56. On July 5th, 2014 at 1:41 pm Suzanne Penney Calder Says:

Same here and my little boy is driving me crazy over this! He thinks mom can fix everything but I cannot fix this myself! I hate this game.

57. On July 5th, 2014 at 1:43 pm Suzanne Penney Calder Says:

Why does this game always come up with a Request Timed Out message? We are connected to the wifi and this only happens with this game.

58. On July 14th, 2014 at 9:37 am jalal Says:

i install the game in my huawei g610 .when i want to start first level game stay on loading page!

59. On July 20th, 2014 at 5:48 pm XeminasXL Says:

Because android is stupid

60. On July 27th, 2014 at 12:40 am Ejaz Ahmed Says:

i have download nova 3 full data+apk i installed it on my device..when i start it it keeps popping up with a bar checking required file and installing repeats it many time..bbut game isn’t working help me out guys

61. On September 7th, 2014 at 5:49 pm Jaydon Says:

How do I change my username if I forgot it

62. On October 5th, 2014 at 11:39 am Aditya Says:

When I play level 3 the game crashes ……. help me….pleaseeee……………………

63. On February 9th, 2015 at 8:34 am christo2610 Says:

me too

64. On February 16th, 2015 at 3:16 pm jobob Says:

i have a problem with nova 3… I was on a level and i aciidentally clicked restart level. I then went back to the very begnning of the game. Please help!!1

65. On March 4th, 2015 at 4:30 pm Naman Yash Says:

Hey please tell me if i can connect with my friends who use android phones in multiplayer local play.
    I use iPhone 5s.

66. On April 5th, 2015 at 8:03 pm THEONE Says:

the time out situation has been going on for years….. I think its time to complain to apple once they know that N.O.V.A 3 is faulty I’m sure they will not stand for GAMELOFTS lack of action